Hubby's "Thunder"hosen

Leave it to my husband to call period clothing by the most ridiculous name he can think of.... ;-)

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Yet Another Project

Hehe, I've been scheming with Beth yet again. We've decided that our hubbies need new duds. I personally think mine is in a bit more need of them if he wishes to consort with the likes of a well dressed courtesan like myself....his current attyre is an oh-so-nonauthentic kilt made from a simplicity pattern. Don't get me wrong, I actually quite like his outfit, and particularly him in it, but it doesn't match so well with my new, wealthier look.

So, new manly duds. I confess--period menswear intimidates me more than a bit. Mostly cuz I've no experience with it. Thanks to Janet Arnold's PoF, and some extensive online gallery searches I'm getting a better idea of the styles, and I guess a handle on the patterns and sewing techniques will just have to come with experience.

Perhaps it is my inexperienced eye, but I really don't see a huge difference between Italian and English (and even some spanish) styles of the late 1500s. This is good for me, as I would love to have hubby's clothes match mine whether I'm wearing my courtesan or my yet-non-existent spanish-influenced-elizabethan. I figure if I make a suitable doublet and slops/trunkhosen set for him, and perhaps a foppish hat for italian and a tall hat for elizabethan, he'll really be able to match me well enough either way.

To this end, I've been talking to hubby more than a little bit about his preferences. Yes, I'm a nice wife--I'm giving him a say. And honestly, I didn't expect him to be quite so picky, so I'm glad I asked. He and I apparently have different tastes in menswear, which is fun. And challenging--I'm used to getting my way. He seems to be taking the design plans rather seriously. Its adorable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home